Thursday, March 23, 2006

SIFE

Hello Everyone...
I came back from college today, somehow taking a break because it's a thursday and I was already not willing to attend Mohammed Mouneer's and Nancy Agram's concert in the university..hehe...so I was spending sometime reading my mails and all.
I checked my uni mail and I found a mail titled "SIFE"...I didn't know what actually this was so I thought I might take a look.
A poster in the mail was posted and a link to SIFE's website, so i opened the link..that's where I knew about it a little...

SIFE is the "Students In Free Enterprises"...It's a US headquartered non-for-profit organization whose aim is to improve the quality of life and standards of living of people through teaching the principles of free market economics and entrepreneurship (that's what the site says)
Well I thought like how?!!

I read more, it's actually an organization whose members are from businesses and universities who do proposals for projects and actually "do" the project in a later phase to help achieve the aim of SIFE mentioned earlier.
Students work in teams to do such projects and implement them; they gain leadership, communication and presentation skills through-out this activity.

I got interested in the idea...but i couldn't register with them online so I got the contact information of their office in Egypt and I phoned them. A guy answered me and gave me Mrs.Fatma's (the head of the SIFE team in Egypt) cell phone number (What an invasion of privacy..that's what I thought!) but anyways, I thought well...I'll call her anyways!

I called her, introduced myself and told her that I am an interested student in the activities of SIFE and I would like to join...she was very welcoming and very friendly, she even talked to me as if i was her own daughter. She gave me a clearer idea of the projects they do and whom I should contact in my university.
She told me that the AUC group was the team winning the competition they did last year for the "best project"...they did a project for poor women making mushrooms and selling them, also another project for high-school students to teach them how to make a CV, behave in an interview and also taught them some communication skills..that was in around 12 schools in Egypt...
Mrs.Fatma was very happy that I was that enthusiastic and she asked me to begin right away with my mates in college...so I'll be thinking inshaa Allah of better projects and pray for us to win this year :)

I think stuff like that might make Egypt a better place, with better educated citizens, with better systems...with the helping and sharing..we can be more united, we can actually get out of the bottle's neck (as most people say)!

Here's SIFE's site in case you want to know more about it:
http://www.sife.org

If you're interested in SIFE, please join...you will hopefully make a difference :)

10 comments:

Mohamed Moshrif said...

Cool new type of posts, right ;)?

Now I think that my posts were boring :D

Anonymous said...

I think both your posts are boring really !!!

Mohamed Moshrif said...

So while u r bored, why you read them?!!

Mohamed Moshrif said...

It's really weird!!!!

People come to your blog and state that you're boring!!!!

This is really something I couldn't even understand or be fine with, because for me, when I see someone's blog containing things I don't like, simply I don't visit it again!!

Any way thanks Mr./Mrs./Ms anonymous, your opinion is appreciated and we'll do our best to ignore it!!!!

Bahaa said...

Well I think that Anonymous does think they are interesting ... otherwise he wouldn't have come here time after time just to follow boring posts ... (rabbena yehdy) ... Get used to that Mohamed !

USaMa said...

I think that people who get bored much like anonymous are themselves boring !!!

  said...

Ok :D I admit it I liked the post and I liked the idea of SIFE and I liked your way of thinking about Egypt and being positive towards that, Meshref was right.
I hope you would start a SIFE chapter in your Univ. and nice idea posting the this post here with many people visiting this blog specially students from different universities visit it here.

Anonymous said...

what a great organization SIFE is! i saw ainshams university between the enrolled ones!! i'll try to join as soon as possible.. thanks Noran.

Anonymous said...

Sorry.. but i forgot to add that this blog really inspired me.
A great motivation for me to be someone like meshref! i admit of that..

Not "boring" like that anonymous said :S...

Mohamed Moshrif said...

Yes, I get used seeing this kind of "weird" people!